Choosing to start your own business is a scary decision. I know, I’ve done it. I’ve learned that fear is a good thing. Because of that fear, I strive to learn everyday. I learn from my mistakes. I do the best I can for all my clients and when I fail, I do whatever it takes to make it right. When you don’t fail, you don’t grow.
It’s important to have a great support network when you start your own business. Without mine, I’d be nothing. I’m lucky to have incredible businesses and friends around me. When I started my business, I was lucky that my incredible clients believed in me and hired me. One of my best friends is an incredible small business lawyer, and I’m lucky that she believed in me too. Trellis legal is her firm and without her legal insight, help with creating my LLC and getting contracts drawn up, my business wouldn't exist.
It’s important for me to support other female entrepreneurs because they've supported and taught me so much. I'm so thankful for the amazing women at the Chatham Women’s center for entrepreneurship like Wendy Mascio who taught me so much. I especially recommend their “Concept to Launch” class for anyone starting a business. The women I’ve met who support me and who I’ve gotten to support have given me my confidence in business. They’ve also been there to celebrate with me and cheer me on when my business is at it’s best.
When I started my own business, it was because I didn’t want to work for someone else anymore. It was the best decision I’ve made this year!
Here are a few of the quotes that inspired me to start my business:
1. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” - Robert H. Schuller
2. “Be thankful for what you have. Be fearless for what you want.” - Coco Calla
3. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” -Maya Angelou
4. “I realized that if I was going to achieve anything in life I had to be aggressive. I had to get out there and go for it… I know fear is an obstacle for some people, but it’s an illusion to me.” -Michael Jordan
5. “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” - Winston Churchill
6. “I’m tough, I’m ambitious and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” - Madonna
I hope these inspire you like they inspire me everyday. If you want to start your own business. Go for it. Treat your business like it’s your top priority and you’ll see it grow!